What is I.R.A.C.?Master it now, crush the LSAT with it on test day
No tricks, no shorts cuts, no bull...
Identify the Issue
Identify the applicable Rule (Law)
Apply the Issue to the Rule (Analysis)
What Conclusion flows from your Analysis
What does I.R.A.C. have to do with the LSAT?
Every credited answer on the LSAT is the logical derivative of the information that precedes it.
Stated another way: every credited answer is the conclusion a reasoning mind would produce on its own if it:
- fully understood the Issue presented, and
- fully understood the rule governing that Issue, and
- properly applied the Issue to the rule
Haven't heard this before?
No surprise there. IRAC is the method of learning used in law school and must be taught by someone who has learned to reason this way, i.e., a lawyer
But IRAC does not end in the classroom; it accompanies you in the courtroom, that is, in the practice of law
If an attorney is not at the front of the room you simply will not be taught how to reason this way
The LSAT requires you to reason this way
How does this work?
Issue: The Issue is presented through the question, e.g. :
- Logical Reasoning: The reasoning in the argument is flawed in that...
- Reading Comprehension: The author of the passage would most likely infer...
- Analytical Reasoning: Each of the following must be true, except...
All analysis begins with a precise understanding of the Issue presented
No understanding can be precise without definitions
Do you really know the definitions of “argument”, “infer”, or “assume” as they are used on this test?
If you don’t, and right now you almost certainly do not, a very long test day awaits you!
Rule (Law): The matter to which the Issue is applied
Where is the law on the LSAT?
- Logical Reasoning: The argument that is positioned above the Issue.
- Reading Comprehension: The passage itself.
- Analytical Reasoning: The original conditions accompanied by the constraints which follow.
If you don’t understand the law fully, you cannot apply the Issue to it, i.e., you’re toast
Analysis: The application of the Issue to the Law
Where the rubber hits the road!All sections: Is your mind capable of systematically applying the Issue to the law?
Conclusion: The resolution to the Issue!
When your mind is as systematic as the minds which have developed these constructs, it will, produce on its own results strikingly similar to the credited responses!
You are now someone who understands what legal reasoning really is!